Friday, May 9, 2014

To Celebrate or Not to Celebrate?

To celebrate or not to celebrate, that is the question. I have often pondered about who came up with the 'holidays' that have been created, but I am sure it has to be someone in the commercial marketplace. Children and husbands, who love their mothers and wives, celebrate all year long by bringing dandelions and roses. 

But we have arrived at this weekend that is a celebrated one called Mother's Day. There is a big card display at the store, candies and flowers are advertised on television and in shops. Of course, we can't have Mother's Day without a Father's Day, so that is coming up next month! 

However, my heart broke when a young girl last week told me she would not be coming to church because of all the Mother's Day celebration that would be held. She and her mother do not speak, her mother does not come to church, and the daughter said it would be just too painful. 

I can relate to the pain, not because of the same reason, but because my mother is in heaven.The southern tradition says, "Wear a red rose if your mother is alive, wear a white rose if your mother is deceased." Here is my problem with that tradition: My mother is still alive, she has just moved to another location, that to be with the Lord. 2 Cor. 5:8" to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord." I have 'braved' the day and wore a red rose on occasion, just to be questioned by some. So now, I don't wear a rose at all. 

Another reason my heart hurts on this day, I always think of the precious mothers of my adopted children. I praise them for giving up their children for me to raise and love, but I know the hearts of mothers. They must pause and wonder about the children they gave birth to...where are they, are they healthy, are they parents (am I a grandmother?). All these thoughts come to my mind. 

Then there are the mothers who have lost children or had abortions, no longer mothers. Their hearts must be hurting. 

Mothers and Fathers are to be celebrated. Jesus honored His mother, Mary, when He was suffering the most. He remembered her, loved and respected her, giving her to His follower and faithful disciple, John.  John 19:25-29 "Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son!”  Then, He said to the disciple, “Behold your mother!” And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home."

Some churches give 'prizes' to the oldest mother or the mother with the most children. My thoughts on this? It is the same women every year that get the prizes. But who wants to be recognized for being old or having a houseful of children? What about the lady who is sitting in church that was just told she would never have a child? What about the lady who miscarried last month? What about the lady who just lost her mother? 

I really don't mean to be a sour prune on holidays, but we should be mindful of those around us that are hurting. We live in a world who loves to commercialize. Let us be the Christians who look beyond the gifts, look to Jesus that gave us the life we live. It may be painful at times, but Jesus is always with us. We may need to look beyond the celebrations of others and understand...they don't know the pain you may feel. 

Love each other.....
1 Peter 4:7-9 "The end of all things is near; therefore, be of sound judgment and sober spirit for the purpose of prayer. Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. Be hospitable to one another without complaint."

Now, I guess after writing this blog, my family will read this and say, "Whew, we don't have to buy flowers or candy!" Your right, you do not....I know you love me all year long!

Blessings,
gs

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite line, "I know you love me all year long!" What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said, Ginger. I think also that every woman has in someway mentored or cared for some child - during her lifetime - which fulfilled that child's need of a mother --- all women should be celebrated on this day - for caring and loving and just being there when the need arises. Love you all year long, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Mom! yes, you are my Mom and more than a mother!! A friend, guidance and a listener. Love you more!

    ReplyDelete