Tuesday, October 14, 2014

What's in A Name?

When our children were little, we gave them little fun nicknames...such as Beegee (B.J.) or Todd-a-Rod (Todd). They always knew when they were in trouble when their real names were called and really bad trouble when their full, first and middle, names were used. It just never seemed right getting on to them using a nickname! I am sure you all can remember when your full names were used by a parent, grandparent or teacher, it was never good.  

I love it, where in scriptures, even Jesus corrected Peter by using either Simon or Simon Peter.

Then, as they grew older and started going off with their friends, their dad would always remind them, "Remember who you are!" This meant you are a Sanders and do not embarrass or ruin our name. When they became Christians, this meant that they were not only Sanders, but a child of God. 

When our daughter married, she accepted the name of her husband. Our daughter was adopted from S. Korea and had been given a Korean name at the orphanage of Kung Hee Park. Park was the President of S. Korea at that time (he was later assassinated.) When we brought her to our home, our little gift from God, we called her Kara. She then became an American citizen and her last name was changed to Sanders. Now she has taken another name for the man she loves. 

We realize that the last name carries a 'brand' or 'trade' with it from earlier times. If your last name is 'Carpenter' for instance, your grandparents, way back, were probably carpenters. The 'Cook' family were probably chefs and so on..

We know that God has many names for His many characteristics and His nature. We know many names for Jesus are used for different prayers at different stages in our lives. But I guess my personal favorite of all His names would be 'I Am', for that says it all. 

Exodus 3:14 
 God said to Moses, ‘I AM who I AM.’ And he said, ‘Say this to the people of Israel, I AM has sent me to you’

"Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" John 8:58

Looking at our world today, the news about the beheading of Christians, makes me think of what our future holds for names. Will it someday be required to add the tag 'Christian' to our names? Hmmm..... Ginger Sanders, Christian. Who knows what the future holds for us, except Christ will return someday and our 'tag/name' better be there. 

The names on this earth have little meaning actually. They are all nicknames or whatever we are called. The name that will be important will be the name in the Book of Life. I have a 'legal' name and then the nickname that my husband and friends call me. It does not matter to me which name Jesus has in that book, as long as He sees it was written there the very night I accepted Him as my Savior.

What about you? What is your name and where is it written? Are you ready to be called out by Him? 

Signing off today with 
Blessings,
gsanders 'Christian'




No comments:

Post a Comment