Friday, June 27, 2014

Interested in Knowing Your Future?


When I was growing up, my cousin had a ball, that looked like an eight-ball, that you asked a question and flipped it over for the answer. The usual answers were 'reply hazy, try again,' 'Yes,' 'No,' 'Maybe.'
There may have been a few other answers inside on the cube, which floated in some oil, and would come to the top randomly. I always enjoyed playing with this ball, because I thought is could tell the future in some way. I was not dumb, I knew how it worked, but I liked to dream of what could be and what would happen in our day. So, on occasion, we would decide what game to play by using the ball. Monopoly? 'No.' Sorry? 'No' Rummy? 'Ask again later.' We often would just toss the ball aside and go outside with a shrug and ride our bikes.

People often seek for answers in mysterious places, not much different than the infamous ball. They sometime seek out soothsayers, reading of horoscopes, taro cards and crystal balls. Just a couple of weeks ago, we were with our son and his wife at a Cincinnati Craft and Art show. It was a beautiful day and they had some wonderful things in rows and rows of booths. As we walked the aisles looking at the homemade soaps and lotions made out of goat's milk, crafted wooden toys, art from driftwood and an array of other crafts, but one booth made me come to a total stop. It was set up with flowing scarfs, to get attention, and the sign said, "I will tell you your future." The thought came to my mind, "Wonder what she would tell me?" I know, without a doubt, it is not real, but wouldn't it be fun to 'play' with her? That is when the Holy Spirit that lives within me spoke up and said, "Don't play with the Devil." Whoa! I got a sick feeling in my stomach and moved on to the next booth, but the thoughts that had come into my mind remained.

Coming home, I shared the incident with my husband. He had not seen the booth, but knew of the evil that lurked. We discussed how easily people are swayed. If I had not listened, or not had the Spirit of God within me to speak, I may have very well played her game. Then, whatever she said to me would play on my mind and it may actually be made to come true by my actions.

But, I did have the Holy Spirit and discernment to stay clear of that booth and the evil that may have been there. I also have the truth and direction that is given to all people. The Word of God, the Bible, tells us the future of this world. It gives us guidelines for our lives, how to live to be productive for Him and fellow man.

Sure, I would like for God to send me the outline for my life, but thankfully He knows better. He knows that if I knew what was ahead, good or bad, that I may not be able to handle or take it all in. The blessing is knowing that God is in control and knows everything about me, my past, my present and my future and He loves me anyway.

Now whenever I am trying to make a decision and don't know what to do, instead of picking up a ball and asking a question, I pick up my bible and pray. Life doesn't have to be hard, especially if we have God in it.

One of my (many) favorite verses is:
Jeremiah 29:11 "I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I know where I have been in my life, I know where I am, and I know where I am going, all because of the promises found in His word.

John 14:2-3 "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3"If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."

Blessings,
gs

No comments:

Post a Comment