Friday, November 15, 2013

Going Fishing

Many times we have left a disaster site heading home, exhausted and tired. We are ready to pull off the Billy Graham Chaplain shirt and be 'off duty' for awhile. As time has gone by, we have realized having on the chaplain shirt or driving the vehicles with the 'Billy Graham Rapid Response Team Ministry' written all over it may give us more opportunities to serve Him. But we don't have to have all that, because it is the Spirit, living inside us, still nudging us to visit, share and pray.  

One time we were traveling to visit our family in Kentucky and stopped in Tennessee for gas. There was nothing around this exit except the McDonald's attached to the gas station. As my husband was pumping the gas, I smelled the aroma of 'fried' food. We usually try to eat 'healthy' foods when traveling, because we know the good cooking of family and/or Samaritan's Purse will be waiting for us. But, this smell of grease was intimidating and tempting.  I said, "Mmmm, I am hungry." My husband looked around the area and replied, "Do you want to eat a 'healthy' fish sandwich?" We both smiled when I nodded yes!

We went inside ordered and sat down. While we were waiting on the food, my husband looked past me and said to me, "There is a lady behind you that needs prayer. You need to go pray with her." She was a elderly worker, emptying the garbage cans inside.  (Now mind you, we did not have on our chaplain shirts, it was just a nudging he had gotten from the Spirit) I know I looked at him puzzled, because his next words were, "Go ahead, I will pray for you." Honestly, I did not feel it, but have learned to trust my husband and the Spirit, so I got up and walked over to her. 

She looked up at me as I walked toward her. I told her, "I know this may sound strange, but we are chaplains and I would like to pray for you."

Let me stop right here and say this: There was a big, heavy set, truck driver sitting in the booth just past her and he looked up at this time.

When I had spoken to her, she turned to face me....big crocodile tears built up in her eyes and started to run down her cheek. She said, "I just found out about three hours ago, my nine year old granddaughter, is in Lexington hospital and has been diagnosed with throat cancer and I cannot go to her." I asked this hurting grandmother could I pray with her. She tearfully nodded that it would be ok. As I bowed my head, I looked at the truck driver and he was already closing his eyes and bowing his head...with tears running down his face.

Praying for the grandmother, the family and the medical team, the smell of the fried food somehow disappeared.  

The grandmother hugged me and said, "Thank you for being here for me this morning. God surely sent you my way." We both wiped away our tears. The truck driver smiled and wiped away his tears.  

We have learned we are the same people with or without the Billy Graham logos, we are still His children. Being more sensitive to Him was not learned overnight, it is an ongoing process. We are not special either, we are like everyone else. We have to stay in a close relationship with Jesus. How do you do that? By staying in His Word and prayer. Are we always obedient? I wish I could say yes, but probably not. Do we miss that opportunity and blessing? Yes!  

Is your relationship close with Jesus? Does He whisper to you, leading you toward a blessing? Stop, look and listen to the Spirit today.  He just may have someone out there that needs you.  Be aware of His presence and His nudging. You may have your own story today and I would love to hear about it! 

We serve a mighty God. He wants to use you, so He can be glorified! Do you 'smell a fish sandwich?

Blessings,
gs

"If then there is any encouragement in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by thinking the same way, having the same love, sharing the same feelings, focusing on one goal. Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."
 
Philippians 2:1-4 






No comments:

Post a Comment