Friday, November 14, 2014

Fan the Fire

As I sit here in the comfort of my home warmed by the fire, I watch the flames flicker, as they lap up the cold air and send out the warm air. The color of the flames varies from a warm blue on the embers to a bright, hot orange at the top. 

Anyone, who wants to feel the heat, can only stand close to the fireplace for a few moments before having to back away. Sometimes we turn as if we are on a spit! 

When our family gets together, we sometimes have a bon fire, roasting hotdogs or marshmallows. I fondly have memories of when I catch my marshmallow on fire, because I love the taste of the crisp, toasted, gooey mess.

Why is it that fire mesmerizes us? It is there and then it is gone. But is it really gone? 

I think the Holy Spirit gets left out of our Christian lives so much when we pray or praise. Knowing what the scriptures say about the Holy Spirit and its description of Him, He reminds me of fire or a flame. 

We know the Spirit was present in the beginning, Genesis 1:2 "and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." We also know that He was present in the Old Testament many times. 

But, look at when the Spirit came to live inside man. When the Holy Spirit began His ministry of indwelling the early church, He chose to appear as “tongues of fire” resting on each of the believers. At that moment, “all of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them” Acts 2:3-4. John the Baptist had predicted that Jesus would be the One to baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. Matt 3:11

When I walk close to God and have a good relationship with Him, the Spirit inside me glows, like having the flames fanned by the Word. When I do not take time to communicate with God or read His Word, the embers of the Spirit is still within me, but they are not filling my soul with the warmth. 

We all enjoy being filled with warmth, inside and out. There is even a saying, "A warm, fuzzy feeling." I am not sure where that saying came from, but I do like the comfort of feeling that way. 

Let us all cozy up to the fireplace of sitting by Him and letting the Spirit fill us inside with His Presence. Let us fan the flames so His warmth may be felt by others and want to join us around fire!

Blessings,
gs




 

No comments:

Post a Comment