Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Election Day is Over

Whew! I say I am glad the election is over, but at the same time, I am thankful we have the freedom to have an election. What I am really saying is that I am glad we don't have to listen, read and see all the politicians and news media everywhere we turn. 

This blog has started a little different than most of my blogs, because I NEVER am one to talk politics (ask my husband who says I don't listen to it either!) But, now that it is over, I do have a few comments. Yes, this is still a free country, anyone can run for any office and the citizens have the right to vote for whomever they want. There were amendments (that I read about the night before the vote) on the ballot in my state. 

Of the many, many things that I could list that I do not like about politics, there are two which make my stomach roll with anguish. First, I do not like the daggers the opponents throw at each other. Second, I am amazed at the amount of money which goes into the 'run' for office, as they stand there and tell us how much money they are going to 'save' and cut taxes, etc. This just seems a little ironic to me. 

Now, let us move on from being a citizen of this land to being a citizen of our eternal home. 

Jesus went around the countryside, much like our politicians do, sharing Who He was and what He believed in with the people. Jesus told them His 'line' of salvation and the upcoming kingdom. He shared with them, that which would give them peace, joy and comfort. Some people understood what He was saying and followed Him.

What His followers didn't understand was the full picture of His kingdom. Much like voters today, we hear what is said, but don't always get the full idea of what was told to us or what they are actually going to do once they are in office. But, Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." John 14:6 He gave them hope. 

Jesus did not spend campaign money that He had raised. He borrowed fish and bread and fed the crowds. Jesus did not talk about evil, He cast it out. He told of the joy and peace and comfort He could give. He gives us hope in John 14:3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." We will be with Him, not like politicians of today, who often stay away from the people. 

There is a lot of difference in the earthly home we have and the heavenly home promised. Yes, we have freedoms, living here in America, but are we really free? 

I think that answer is clear in the scriptures. Romans 8:1-4 "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.  For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,  in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit"

Let us live on this earth as citizens of heaven, that which Christ has promised us. Let us pray for our country, thankful for the freedoms. Let us pray for the Spirit of God to sweep over this nation and touch the heart and souls of our leaders, that they may know Christ. 

Yes, this election day is over. We will now hold our breaths to hear the results. We will survive this next year, no matter who wins or loses. We should pray for all of them. We should keep our eyes focused on the One true King and let us 'run the race' that is set before us.

Blessings,
gs 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment