Monday, January 23, 2017

Meeting Jesus Face to Face! My Story

Many of you have known me for years, but some of you may have only seen me online or on television or radio. You have read stories of my growing up years or where we have seen things God orchestrated while we have been on deployment in the mission fields. 

Today I will be sharing with you a little of both, my growing up years and seeing God at work. I will share the testimony of my salvation experience, the night I met God face to face. 

Growing up in a christian home, my parents had restrictions and rules, which you have read in my previous blogs. My mother, especially, kept the apron strings tight and I am thankful. I respected my parents and never wanted to disappoint them (my children say I must have been a 'nerd' lol).  

My mother had heard of the Sanders family and the mother, sister and son singing in churches around our county. She decided (or led by God) that I ought to go on a date with this young man, after all, he was at least attending church services! 

She did not know that he had already asked me out and I had turned him down! But he was persistent and even rode his horse eight miles to my house to see if I was home one Saturday morning. My mother was happy to see him and offered him a seat in the 'parlor' of the old home place. She hurriedly came to my room to tell me, "You have a guest!" She was all smiles and I was curious! As it turned out, I ended up saddling my horse and going riding that day. 


Being strict parents, the only time I could date through the week was to attend church, so my sweet 'fellow' looked for every revival or church singing that summer! 


One night, sitting in the back pews with the youth group, the preacher shared the gospel during the revival at the little country church. I do not remember the sermon, the preacher or the song, but I do know my heart was pounding in my chest. The Holy Spirit was calling out my name.....but I did not respond or listen to Him. Instead, I held tightly to the back of the pew in front of me, not wanting to step out in front of the people. I walked out of that church in fear, knowing I would go to hell if I died that night. 

In bed that night, I talked with God, telling Him I would go up the next night, if He would just give me another chance. What I did not know was that God does not require you be in a church building to accept Jesus and ask forgiveness. I wrestled with my heart that night and the next day. 

It was a relief that next evening when the car pulled up in my yard to take me to the revival, it had been a long day. The preacher preached, but I don't think I even heard the message. From the moment I stepped into the building my heart started pounding once again. The invitation was given and the song "O Why Not Tonight" was being sung. My future sister in law stepped out with me to walk the aisle for Jesus that night. My future mother in law, and future aunt, joined me at the altar that night. I don't remember praying, I just remember the moment I stepped out of that pew, my heart quit pounding and my steps grew lighter. I know I did promise to live for Jesus and ask that He lead and guide my life. 

My mother was awake when I came home from church that night and as I passed, she called out to me, "How was your evening?" This was not unusual for her to ask, but I will always wonder was she always waiting on this particular answer, "Mama, I accepted Christ tonight as my Savior and Lord." She smiled and hugged me. I don't know for sure, but I think we both slept better that night.

My mother passed away six months after we were married. God let her see me marry the man she picked out for me and that this very man was the one who took me to church to meet Jesus. My mother had a way about her and I have a feeling it was because of the prayers she prayed. I am certain God had a hand in all of this.  

Now you have read my experience about meeting Jesus. How about you? Do you know that you have a personal relationship with HIM? 
Romans 10:
"9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 

10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved."

If you believe in your heart, pray and ask forgiveness and ask Him to be your Savior and Lord, He promises your name will be written in the Book of Life for eternity. Then, one day I will meet you in heaven and introduce you to my mother, but greater still would be to meet at the Throne of God and meet Jesus!! 

If you are already a believer and would want to share your testimony, go ahead and comment. If you have prayed today to receive Him, please comment with your name so that I can pray for you! 

God Bless!
gs

No comments:

Post a Comment