Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Daddy's Mad Dog Love

Many years ago (let's just leave it at 'many'!), I had a little red tricycle that I rode around and around our house. I had a path beat down in the grass where the front wheel went and I was determined to make that track wider everyday. When dinner (lunch for those of you not raised in the south) came, I would park my trike on a certain flat rock in the grass. That was my parking spot, just like my dad's old Chevy, which sat on the gravel drive in front of the house. We had our spots and knew exactly where our vehicles would be when we came back to them. I could jump right back on my tricycle and continue my rounds for the afternoon. 

I was probably about four years old then, not having a lot of chores or responsibilities yet, so I could really 'work' at marking my way. There was a lot of shade trees in the backyard and the little creek that flowed along the border of the yard. I was not allowed to go all the way to the creek, but could go close enough to ride through the shade and feel the cool breeze. So my afternoons, in hot Alabama, was rewarding in many ways. 


However, one afternoon, as I rounded the house and headed to the cool shade, I spotted something near the creek and in the trees. I slowed down and came to a stop, trying to figure out what was standing just ahead of me. It was a large, black dog and he was foaming at the mouth and showing his sharp teeth. His eyes looked really funny, like he did not even see me, but he tilted his head and seemed to hear me. I knew something was really wrong, I could feel it in my stomach. 

Jumping off the safe haven for me, my red tricycle, I ran up the steps and into the backdoor of the house. Once inside the house, I cried out, "There is a dog in the yard!" Seeing my terrified face and knowing I was not normally afraid of dogs, my Daddy jumped up! He ran to the door and just one look was enough. He grabbed his gun and told me to stay inside, as he went out the door. I remembered how scared I was, not only for me, but for my Daddy too. 

I heard a gunshot and covered my ears as I cried out! The terror in my soul was grief, pain and fear! 

Daddy came inside and called animal control. He said the dog was a 'mad dog, had rabies.' He said he was a dangerous animal. Suddenly, I felt the relief and the warmth of my Daddy's arms around me. I was secure and safe in the arms of the one who loved me. 

In this life, there are many times we go around and around in a routine of life. Our lives grow as the paths get wider, every now and then we stop to refuel, then we continue our routines. However, like the mad dog suddenly appeared, something interrupts our lives, and we are filled with fear, grief and terror. This can take the form of illness, death, loss of job, finances...so many things can stop our routine of going on our 'path'. 

Finally, we get off our 'path' and run to the Father. He tells us to step aside, He takes care of our problem, in whatever way His Plan is for us. But no matter what, we can be sure He will wrap His arms around us, give us the secure peace and comfort only He can give. He is the One Who loves us.

2 Thess. 3:16
"Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you."

Yes, my Daddy was a great, big man in size and heart. But my God is bigger than my Daddy ever was, His arms and His love for me is bigger than my Daddy's (now that is a lot!). 

Do you have a situation you need the Father to take care of today? Do you have a request for prayer? Share with us when the Father has taken care of you....we would love to hear your stories! Just leave a comment here......

Blessings,
gs

http://on.fb.me/1tyhUGB

No comments:

Post a Comment