Sunday, July 20, 2014

Should We Ever Move the Past Forward?

This past week we had an outing at our church which included southern BBQ and 50'-60's Doo Wop music. It was a fun time, listening to music that made Chubby Checker, the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly famous. Watching the swaying of shoulders and watching the faces of those that knew every word of the oldies. One elderly gentleman, in his late 80s, got up and 'shuffled' to the twist.The mind was drawn back into the day his body cooperated with the tunes. (No we don't usually 'dance' at our church, but this time, watching Bro. Ralph, it was a blessing)

As I thought about how natural this came to everyone sitting in the room, I realized how much we had listened to the radio many years ago. We were limited to the entertainment we had, we really didn't need to be selective. There was no need for parental controls! The twists and moves of Elvis was even edited and he was only viewed from the waist up by the television audience. (I don't even want to compare or mention what we see on television today!)

What happened? Why did we let it happen? 

I remember sitting in Sunday School and being told to read my Bible everyday. There was a little box on the card to check if you had done your 'daily Bible reading' that week. I probably checked that box, even though I had not opened my bible everyday. God forgive me. But, did NOT reading my bible daily cause the world to be where it is today? I am sure I did not help matters in the world, but more importantly...my own life.

If we could go back, should we dig up the past, listen to the music and read our bibles? I think we could renew our lives by both of these things. For some reason, music does touch the soul. It doesn't matter what style of music you like, when you listen to your style it can touch you. It reaches down into the depths and draws you to a 'place' where it can speak to you. 

If we get back to the basics of reading our bibles and pay attention to what goes into our ears, we can be renewed. 

There is nothing wrong with letting the past move us forward, especially when it is growing us to a closer relationship with God. Stand up for your beliefs that are based on Truths and let's move forward together, growing in Him. 

Blessings,
gs

No comments:

Post a Comment