Monday, June 23, 2014

River Runs with Peace

When we retired from our careers out in the world, my husband asked me where I would like to settle down. We had moved around the country alot, due to his job. Being a southern girl at heart, I longed for the south and the warmth. His one request...that it be on the water. 

We had always been ones to play on the water in our younger years. We had boats and both skied (very well I might add) and spent many miles running up and down the Tennessee river. 

This morning, as I sat on our screened porch having my coffee, I was just looking at the peacefulness of the water. There is just something about water that is relaxing and peaceful. God just filled my soul this morning as I shared that with Him. He showed me the glistening of the water, like diamonds reflecting back at me. Then ripples were made, as the little minnows were jumping from the larger fish underneath. Then the movement of the waters, as the wind blew across it, was mesmerizing.

All of this was in the quietness of the morning except for the singing and chirping of the birds. It was definitely a God moment. It made me think and wonder, "Why is the water so peaceful?" Even in the midst of a rain, I sometimes enjoy sitting on the porch, just to listen and smell the freshness of it.

All of it made me think of the river that runs in heaven. Revelation 22 is says " Having seen the holy city, John is now shown the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city." There is a river in heaven! This to me means eternity and peace!

Now in reality, the Coosa River that flows in our backyard is definitely not crystal clear. As a matter of fact, it is quiet muddy after a big rain. That is like our lives, all muddy. But in heaven we will have the purity and cleansing that comes from Christ.

It is hard for me to imagine, resting by the crystal clear waters, by the tree of life, and see it running down the center of the street of gold...right from the throne of God! Now that is really hard for me to think about and not get excited about heaven! 

But once more, I look out at the greenish water that flows past my home and can see a glimpse of God right here. 

If the waters here are providing only a glimpse of heaven and the peace therein, as dirty and dingy as they are, I will take it. I love spending my time outside in His creation. 

Knowing there is no comparison of the rivers, and my mind is not even close to being able to comprehend heaven, I think the flowing waters and the peace that I get here are just right for now.  Why? Because God's creation is enough for me, giving me the peace in Him.

Thinking of the beautiful song, I can let my burdens roll with the waves, I know without a doubt 'It is Well With my Soul.'


'When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul'

H.G. Spafford, 1873

Blessings,
gs

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ginger, I love water too,the sound and the wonderful calming effect. I couldn't quite explain it until I re-read Ps 29:3 "the voice of the Lord is upon the waters;......The Lord is upon many (great ) waters." That is what is going through your yard. Amazing. : Lyndsey Ohman

    ReplyDelete