Thursday, January 2, 2014

Looking Ahead to the New Year!!

Several friends have asked me what New Years resolutions I am going to make this year. Well, I must admit, I have several things that I need to change. My son posted just today, that his bible and treadmill both needed to have more use this year! I think many of us could agree with him. 
If we were to look up resolution in the dictionary, we would find it means to be determined to either be firm to do or not do something. That does not say a lot to me. According to Wikipedia:
The ancient Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts.
The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named.
In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry.
At watch-night services, many Christians prepare for the year ahead by praying and making these resolutions.
There are other religious parallels to this tradition. During Judaism's New Year, Rosh Hashanah, through the High Holidays and culminating in Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), one is to reflect upon one's wrongdoings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. People may act similarly during the Catholic fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility, in fact the practice of New Year's resolutions partially came from the Lenten sacrifices.The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self improvement annually.
Stop right here, note the word 'annually.' I am only human, I know I mess up, whether in deeds or thoughts. I must ask forgiveness and try to do better today, than I did yesterday.
We do not need to set our standards by the fashion magazines or the television shows (heaven forbid!), but we should set our sights and goals on being a better person in Christ. When we don't succeed, we don't need to berate ourselves, just look to Him, be encouraged by others and His Word. 
He loved us when were still sinners. He still loves us as we get up everyday, making it a new day in Him. 
Let us not wait until an annual, promoted time by others to be a better person. Everyday is a new beginning. (Wow, aren't we thankful for that!) 
He tells us in John 14:27 'Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.'
A prayer partner can be a wonderful encourager, friend and confidant. Whether your goal this year is to lose weight, read His Word more, exercise, etc., be assured that everyday is a day to start over. Not just the first week of the year! So many fail and give up after that first week, but there are fifty-one weeks left!
Let us join together to make this world, starting with our own countries, a better place to live. A place where we can worship Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Living according to the scriptures, praying for guidance, so we can be more obedient.

Cleanse our hearts, oh Lord, so that we may be more like You. Pure and holy, forgiven and obedient in You. 

Praying you all have a blessed New Year and are looking forward to every new day!
gs 

Please feel free to leave any comments!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment