Friday, November 8, 2013

Why ‘He Goes Before Us’?


Looking back over our lives, we can see how God weaved out His plan for us.  Did we realize it at the time? No way!  But thank goodness He was there for us in times we did not even realize it! 

Several have asked the question “What inspired you to write the book, ‘He Goes Before Us’.”  The only answer that I can give, that I know without a doubt is true, God put the stories in my heart and life to share. 

While I was growing up, I have always loved to read and sometimes have been known to have two or three books going at one time.  I have been inspired myself by the stories and encouraged in my personal walk with Christ through them. 

While serving with the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team, going on several mission trips and literally seeing God work in the lives of people, I started to burst with excitement every time a story unfolded!  I started to see lives being changed and things happen that only God could orchestrate.  Just as anyone with good news, I wanted to share the stories of what we had seen.  Many people would listen as stories were told, with the greatest of details! (to my husband’s dismay, I added every tidbit!) I loved telling the ‘God’ stories!

I started feeling ‘these stories should be in a book so people can know God is alive and well and still works in the lives of His people!’  I started searching for someone to write the stories for me.  I spoke with several people at the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, their media team, one of their writers, our director…they all agreed the stories should be shared and thought the book would be a great idea.  They encouraged me to start this blog and go from there.  They did not want to write the book, but they encouraged me to write it. 

Well, honestly, I did not know where to begin, so I searched some more for a writer.  I spoke to my daughter-in-law and she said she would love to type it up for me if I told her the stories.  Time passed, she changed jobs and her life just got too busy.  However, she continued to pray for the project.

One week, we went on a cruise with a group of Christian friends and neighbors.  While sitting chatting with the ladies one day, I discovered one of the dear, sweet ladies had been the ghostwriter for a well know evangelist!  I immediately told her, “I know why we are on this cruise together!! God wants you to write my book!”  She immediately replied, “No, God wants you to write the book, my husband and I are heading to the mission field and I will not have the time!”  My heart fell. 

I began to earnestly pray and pray.  Feeling the roads of hope had all led to a dead end, I knew what I had to do.  I gathered all my notes and journal together to begin to select the stories, out of many, to be shared.  Praying over every word, I began the task of putting them onto paper.  God was there.  I relived each story and was given encouragement as I wrote them. 

You see, God was showing me, in the writing of the book ‘He Goes Before Us’ that He truly had a plan for me, it was to write the book.  I had tried every way possible to get out of the task at hand.  I had not intended to write the book myself, but God did not intend it that way.  When I emailed a publisher one night, just to ask what I needed to do to send my book to them for preview, I was not expecting a phone call from them the next morning.  Things started to move so quickly, only God could have been in it. 

The stories became more of a devotional time for me, so that is the way the book was written…thirty-one faith-building stories of when we have seen God.  One thing I have learned through the years, it is not about me, but about Him.   

These stories are written to give hope and encouragement to anyone, to show that God loves being involved in our daily walk.  Even when we don’t see Him, He is there.  Now having the book completed, this is even more relevant to me today, that without a doubt, ‘He Goes Before Us.’

God has a plan for every one of us.  If you look back in your life, He has prepared you or is preparing you for your task.  Some of you already know in your heart what that task is going to be…others may still be searching.  For those of you that know, give it to Him and start to prepare…for those of you that are not sure yet, seek His face…He will open your heart and you will know.  Some of you know and are like I had been, searching for a way out!  He will be with you every step of the way, don’t let go!

Once you know, be on with it! Do not delay!  He wants to be a part of your life to bless you, are you wasting the days and blessings He has in store for you?  We only have a limited number of days on this earth, let every day be blessed.  He is waiting on you to get started, He is there, because I know, without a doubt, ‘He Goes Before You.’

Praying for each reader today that God will touch you so you KNOW what to do. 

Blessings,
gs

No comments:

Post a Comment